Have you ever created an “inspiration board?” I haven’t, but it’s always been something I wanted to do. But how do you do it? I mean, I understand the idea and the general principle, but I don’t get magazines to cut out pictures, and I don’t have random prints sitting in my house. And short of finding images off pinterest to print of my computer, I don’t really know how one acquires such beautiful art.
I’m severely lacking motivation this week. Actually, make that motivation AND creativity. Inspiration. Drive. I’m in a funk that I just can’t get out of.
It’s one of those times when I try to find something that will make want to do homework, freelance work, or a creative project. But I just can’t step outside of this tired, lethargic, ennui feeling.
Usually, when I’m feeling this uninspired, I do a few things to kick my creative butt into gear:
- I peruse the archives of A Beautiful Mess or enJOY it to get some ideas for DIYs I get the urge to do or just look at the pretty pictures and motivating goal lists.
- I skim through Pinterest and usually I find some inspiring photographs that urge me to be creative, to cook a great meal, or to make a cleaner to clean my house.
- I read a book, currently this one, even if it is cheesy and predictable, because living someone else’s life is better than to live mine. At least for 10 mins or so.
- I re-enact my childhood by watching Sabrina or Gilmore Girls and vicariously live through those characters while simultaneously remembering the exact day I first saw the episode.
- I clean my kitchen. Who doesn’t enjoy a clean kitchen? And when it’s cleaned, I can at least say that I was productive.
- Sometimes I force myself to get messy–to paint (even though I’m not a painter), to sew (even though I’m not a sewer), or to rearrange the pictures on my wall. That’ll get the juices flowing.
What I should do, though, is a schedule of things, because this is a day where a schedule is the most important. But until I take the first step of getting off my butt and start doing something, my schedule will have to wait.
Maybe an inspiration board would help days like this?
What do you guys usually do on days like this??